Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Myth vs Facts about High Blood Pressure

Exposing the truth pt 2:

Myth: Systolic pressure of 100 + your age is normal.

Fact: At any age, having a blood pressure of 140/90 mm Hg or higher is associated with a significantly elevated risk of developing hypertension-related cardiovascular disease, and medical attention is warranted. Optimal blood pressure for an adult is defined as below 120 mm Hg systolic and below 80 mm Hg diastolic; Normal blood pressure for most adults is defined as below 130 mm Hg systolic and below 85 mm Hg diastolic. Normal target blood pressure goals may be even lower for people with certain medical conditions, such as diabetes.


Myth: Hypertension cannot be controlled.

Fact: Hypertension is easily detected and usually controllable. Making certain lifestyle modifications and taking medication as prescribed are the keys to controlling hypertension. Behavioral changes include losing excess weight, quitting smoking, getting regular exercise, and eating a low-fat and low-salt diet. However, even with such behavioral changes, high blood pressure can still persist. Medication in conjunction with moderate lifestyle alterations is usually necessary to achieve the desired goal of below 140/90 mm Hg.

Myth: I don’t need to take my blood pressure medication, I feel just fine.

Fact: Hypertension can have non-specific symptoms that may go unnoticed for years. However, organ damage and other serious conditions develop over time. It is important to meet the target goal of below 140/90 mm Hg to help avoid long-term complications of hypertension and reduce the risks of heart attack and stroke. For people with certain conditions, like diabetes, target blood pressure goals are even lower (below 130/85 mm Hg.)
http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/about-your-health/health-conditions-library/general-health/Pages/high-blood-pressure.aspx

3 comments:

  1. This is very useful information regarding High blood Pressure.Thanks for sharing such information.Pharmacy Wholesaler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took a lot of time to read but I really found this very interesting and informative, thank you buddy for sharing.
    Blood Pressure Chart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im not overweight but I have high blood pressure and im going to the doctor in a few days. I do smoke marijuana sometimes but I had high blood pressure before I even smoked so thats not the problem. I have a hospital appointment in 2 days and I smoked last week will they check for that since my blood pressure is high?

    My friend suggest me some HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICINE Please follow the link & help me ?? should i goo with medicine or doctor....

    ReplyDelete